The BoGo’s Birth Story (LONG)

February 17, 2009

Good morning, everyone!  My first post from mommy-land, I’m so excited!  I don’t really feel like a mommy quite yet,  but the more time I spend with our beautiful boys, the more all of this starts to feel real.  I’ve been told that this is going to be a long, hard road (the emotional/physical aspect of having preemies), and I’m sure I’ll be feeling that once the Percocet wears off, but for now I’m blissfully unaware and just so damn happy that my babies are here safe and sound.

My boys’ birth story begins Sunday night at around 10:45 p.m (boys might want to stop reading here, as there is TMI about girly parts to follow).  I was having some unusual amounts of discharge around bedtime, which I expressed to Jeff, but I really didn’t think it was that big of a deal, so we went to bed.  I woke up at around 1 a.m. Monday, thinking that I wet the bed – both my underwear and my shorts were soaked through.  At that point, I really didn’t put two and two together, so I changed clothes, put a fresh pantyliner on, and went back to bed.  At around 4:30 a.m., I was woken up again because I felt that my underwear and shorts were wet AGAIN.  This is when I kind of started thinking that something could be up, but I had always thought that when my water would break, I would know it, you know?  So this time, I put on another pair of fresh undies and one of those 2″ thick, hospital-grade (that I may or may not have “borrowed” from the hospital when I was in for my cerclage) pads.  By 6 a.m., I was completely soaked through that pad, my underwear, my shorts, and onto the pillow I use to support my legs.  It was then when I went to consult Dr. Google.

I Googled “what to do when amniotic fluid is leaking”, or something like that, and I quickly came to the conclusion that my water had in fact broke.  So I calmly called the on-call OB at our clinic, waited for the call back, and woke up my Mom and Jeff to tell them the news – we were going to the hospital to possibly have these babies.  I scared the crap out of both Mom and Jeff when I woke them, and they were running around the house like chickens with their heads cut off, as I was quietly but quickly gathering my things.  I knew I would likely be in the hospital for a few days, so I went ahead and packed a tiny suitcase full of things before we headed out the door.  A quick pat on the head to Rex, and we were on our way!

On the way to the hospital, I kept telling Jeff that I wasn’t ready to be a mommy yet, and that I was scared, and he just reached over and grabbed my hand.  I knew then that everything would be okay.  We were both scared of what was about to happen, but we would get through it, just as we’ve gotten through everything else that this pregnancy has thrown our way. 

We parked the car, waited for Mom to pull in the parking garage, and started the walk (yes, I walked – I wanted the fresh air since I knew it would be a while before I got that again) over to 5th floor Labor & Delivery at Swedish Hospital.  We arrived at around 7:30 a.m.  It was only a matter of minutes before I was all checked in – I was lucky enough to get a nurse who remembered me from my stay 6 weeks ago – and at that point they administered a test with a small strip to see if it was amniotic fluid leaking.  It was positive, and things started moving very quickly after that was determined.  They hooked the boys up to the monitors to make sure all was well, and both of them were just moving and kicking away – I think they were ready to come out!  Both Bo and Go had very strong vitals, so they weren’t calling this an emergency situation, which made me very happy.  My anesthesiologist (from the cerclage) and OB came to my room to talk with me about having a c-section, since the ultrasound revealed that both babies were breech (they hadn’t moved from my appointment on Thursday), and Jeff and I signed the consent forms right away.  At around 9:10 a.m., they told us that we would have two babies within the hour.  Okay, that’s when I started to panic a little bit – I wasn’t ready for this to happen yet!  What if something happens to the boys?  What if something happens to me during the procedure?  What if Jeff becomes a widow and a single dad within a matter of minutes?  It was all too much to take it, and I started crying.  Thankfully, Jeff was right by my side (tight scrubs and all), and suddenly I was calm again – thank God for that man.

At about 9:30 a.m., I said goodbye (and I love you) to my Mom as they wheeled me into the operating room.  From there, things moved VERY quickly.  Jeff was warned about contaminating the sterile environment as I was being prepped for the insertion of the epidural.  I’m so glad I had experienced the epi before so I wasn’t completely freaked out…the insertion on the needle was quick and painless, thank goodness.  The anethesiologist’s nurse then ran a few tests to make sure I was good and numb, which took a few more minutes than they had expected, but I wanted to make sure I didn’t feel anything, dammit!  I did NOT want to be one of those women who could feel everything but be too much in shock to actually say anything (this doesn’t only happen in the movies, you know?).

The c-section procedure itself wasn’t bad at all, but all of the tugging and slicing (that I could hear) was almost unbearable.  I asked Jeff to talk to be about anything other than what was happening right then to take my mind off things while the OR team worked their magic, and he was amazing.  We talked about our honeymoon in the Bahamas, taking the kids to Disney World when they are five or six (my parents have already promised this), and getting my freedom from bed rest back.  Before we knew it, our OB was asking Jeff to stand up to take a picture of our firstborn son.  Holy cow.  The moment we had waited so long for was here!  Bo was born at 9:56 a.m., weighing just over 3 lbs, 1 oz, and measuring 15 3/4″ long.  Jeff stood up, took a few shots, and quickly sat back down with me as we waited to hear it – the most beautiful sound in the world.  Our son’s first breath and sweet little cries.  Whew!  I cried as I watched the team lay Bo down on the table to clean him off, and just as I was composing myself, they asked Jeff to stand up again to get a photo of Bo’s little brother.  Go was born at 9:57 a.m., weighing the same – just over 3 lbs, 1 oz, and measuring 16 1/2″ long.  Jeff and I then heard Go’s first breath and tiny cries, and we both let out a huge sigh of relief.  Our boys were here safely, they were alive, and so was I.  Thank God.  I think there were more tears, and once I got a quick glimpse of my little ones, Jeff left with them while they stitched me up.

The stitching me up part seemed to take forever, but I think it’s just because I was anxious to find out how the boys were doing, as nobody was updating me.  After they stuffed my insides back inside me and stitched up my c-section incision, they started the cerclage removal, which took another 20 minutes, or so.  They asked me if I wanted to keep the cerclage stitch (ewwww), I quickly said “no thank you”, and then they worked on one last thing before the epidural wore off.  I’ve had this nasty mole right near my girly parts for as long as I can remember, but it is no more – I figured why not get it removed as long as I’m completely numb?  And our OB is the one who asked, so why the heck not?  LOL!

I was then wheeled into recovery where I laid alone for about a half hour before my Mom and Jeff came into the room to report on the boys.  They told me their weights and heights, and assured me that they looked great, and were just busy having the plethora of tests run on them that are all standard protocol.   Another big sigh of relief.  As soon as I was done in recovery (about an hour), my nurse wheeled my bed into the private NICU room where the boys will be for the next 6-8 weeks, and I got to see both of them.  It was so surreal…like an out-of-body experience that I can’t really explain – I knew these boys were mine, but I felt like I was on the outside (like in a movie), watching what my life had become.  Maybe it was the drugs, errr, maybe it is the drugs, as I still kind of feel this way now…

After I got into my new room I started feeling really itchy.  I guess this is one of the side effects of having a c-section, and it’s still going on now, which is super duper annoying.  I was given a small amount of drugs to help ease the itchy feeling, but I don’t think they were long-lasting at all.  Boo.  Hopefully this goes away shortly, or I’m going to have to hire someone to just stand here and scratch me!  My new nursing staff spent all afternoon and evening checking on me every hour, or so, and so far everything has gone really well.   My blood pressure and temp are normal, my incision looks great, and I’m not bleeding too much.  I am still really tired, but then that’s to be expected. 

Around 4:30 last night, my Dad got into town and we waited for Jeff’s folks and Marty, LeAnn, and Asher to get here, and then they all headed to the NICU to see our little ones.  I was so glad I got to see pictures when they returned, as I still feel like such an “outsider”.  Sometime between me being wheeled into my new room and the grandparents all getting here, I got two beautiful bouquets of flowers.  One from my cycle buddy, Lanie, and the other from one of my friends from The Nest (the local message board I post on), Erica.  Thank you so much you two, the flowers are absolutely beautiful!  Rachel (who works here at the hospital) actually delivered Lanie’s flowers for her, and she brought me a lovely card and two little pair of booties for the boys, along with a card from all of the Nesties, congratulating Jeff and I on our new bundles of joy.  Awww, how incredibly sweet is that?  Thank you so much you guys (and Rachel, I’m so sorry I was so out of it when you came into the room – those were the drugs talking)!!!





This isn’t the best picture, but these are the beautiful flowers Lanie had sent to me, and the little booties and card from the Nesties – thanks you guys!






And another not-so-great photo, but these are the purple orchids that Erica sent to us – so pretty!  Thanks, Erica! 



My sister caught a flight out last night, too, and Jeff left to pick her up around 7:30 p.m.  When they returned, around 9:15, they ate really quick (right in front of me, meanies!), and then we all headed over to the NICU to peek at the boys.  Kristy was really overwhelmed, and just couldn’t believe how tiny they both were – she had to sit down several times to compose herself.  I was just so amazed at how tiny and delicate their features were, and how they responded to Jeff and I’s touch – so cool – I think they already know that we are their mommy and daddy.  I’m also happy to say that we’ve finally come up with some names (thanks to Kristy, who shared her opinion on which baby looked like which name we had chosen – thankfully we all agreed), and as soon as we let our family know, we will be updating the blog and the rest of the online world – so stay tuned!!!



12 Responses to “The BoGo’s Birth Story (LONG)”

  1. Busted said

    Thanks for sharing the whole story! The boys are both gorgeous and I love their names.

  2. Pam said

    Oh, wow…I’m sitting here at work just crying at what a wonderful story! Your blog really should come with a warning that it will induce tears!!! I’m so excited for all of you 🙂

  3. Dawn said

    I’m in tears reading this. Thanks for taking the time to share this. And congrats again!

  4. Auntie Barb said

    I agree with Pam and Dawn! You should start the entries, have a box of tissues near you for this beautiful story. So it was the shy one (Bo) that broke your water???

    I have seen the boys on facebook and they are soooo handsome. Jeff is going to hate this, but I remember when he was born so I think that makes me even more sentimental.

    Rest as much as you can now. Let people wait on you hand and foot because there will be no more bedrest for you!! (Like I would know.)

    I love you both and I can’t wait to meet the boys either.

  5. erica said

    What an amazing story! I am sitting here crying. Congratulations again, Kerry and Jeff!

  6. Tova said

    what a great story. cute names–so nice to incorporate both your names. love all of the details..(i think it’s the drugs making you itch–do you still have the epidural in?) it made me itch like crazy too & I was so frustrated i couldn’t reach my back.

    heal quick & save up all of your energy to take care of your babes!

    thanks for sharing your story! looking forward to more pics.

  7. lilcyndiluwho said

    I’m pretty sure everyone in the courtroom is staring at me since I’m reading on a break and am now bawling! LOL I can’t say Congratulations too many times!

  8. krazykids said

    What a beautiful birth story

  9. Joe & Lorraine said

    Thanks for sharing your amazing story (it brought us to tears). We are so thankful that you and your boys are doing well. Congratulations Mommy and Daddy!

  10. Alexis said

    They are so adorable and I loved reading your story. Congrats again and keep us posted on how they are doing!

  11. steph said

    Yeah great- now I get to go into the Pepsi center with mascara running down my face. Thank you Kerry and Jeff, for sharing this miracle with us. Love Steph

  12. Heidi said

    Kerry~ I don’t normally cry but I am teary right now. Very touching, you will be glad you have this because you forget so much that you think you will remember forever!!! Congrats! Max & Wes are very lucky to have you for a mommy, I don’t know Jeff but he has to be a heck of a man so I am sure they are lucky to have him as a daddy!! Enjoy each moment! XOXO

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: